By Mallory McCartney
Age category: Young Adult/ New Adult
Release Date: February 14, 2017
Emory Fae enjoys leading a quiet, normal life. That is until two mysterious, and handsome soldiers show up at her apartment, and the life she knew is instantly whisked away. Memphis Carter and Brokk Foster come from the magical and war ridden world of Kiero, and upon Emory's arrival she will discover she is the long-lost heir to the Royal Line and is thrown into the Black Dawn Rebellion with a dynamic role to ignite the rebels and reclaim her throne.
With both men being darkly woven in her past Emory uncovers hidden secrets, a power held long dormant, and will soon realize there are worse things than supernatural humans, love, loss, betrayal, and a Mad King.
Some things are better left in the shadows.
You can find Black Dawn on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33851538-black-dawn
You can buy Black Dawn here:
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Dawn-Mallory-McCartney-ebook/dp/B01N5QQLZL/
- Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/black-dawn-mallory-mccartney/1125505912?ean=9781621356134
- Indigo: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/black-dawn/9781621356134-item.html
Brokk didn’t need to be told twice. Springing from the ground like a demon from the darkness, he pulled his curved twin blades out in seconds as he cut the men off. The group stopped, looking pale in the moonlight and extremely exposed.
“Evening, boys,” Brokk said in a taunting voice. “Sorry to interrupt your rounds, but I dare say you’re a little close for comfort to our home. Convenient for us, though,” he added, twirling the hilts in his hands. “We wanted you exactly here.”
Their leader took a daring step toward him. His mistake. Brokk yelled into the darkness, “Memphis, keep him alive!”
In a flurry of movement, his friends dropped from the surrounding trees, all dressed in the same camouflage, their weapons at the ready. A mad cackle broke the guard’s momentary trance, and they tried to run. Chaos ensued.
Brokk threw his blades at the nearest tree—a satisfying thud sounded as they found their mark. He ran, eyes fixated on the two guards that had broken away from the fight ahead of him. It was laughable really, just how much they thought they had a chance of escaping. They had no idea who they were up against.
The familiar popping and breaking of bones shivered through his body when animal instinct took over as the wolf inside him did. The ground shook from his colossal paws, golden fur rippling like a beacon in the night. His growl rumbled like thunder, and for a split second, he forgot who he was. All that mattered was that he took his targets down. The guard’s deaths were much swifter than they deserved.
Brokk shifted back, trying to calm the elation of how good that had felt. Memphis snapped him out of his glorified moment. “Brokk! Come here.”
The last guard was openly crying, now forced to his knees, hands shaking behind his head. Brokk almost felt sorry for him. Almost.
Up close he was much younger than Brokk thought, fear replacing the guard’s bravery now. Memphis’s icy blue eyes cut into his, and he didn’t have to say anything for Brokk to understand. Telekinetic or not, his friend wore his heart on his sleeve. They were all on edge and who could blame them? Six years of hiding. Six years of losing this war. Brokk swallowed back his thoughts, wearing his mask of oozing confidence and anger.
“W-who are you?” The guard’s voice squeaked out several octaves higher than it should have.
Nyx kicked him in the gut, making him wheeze in pain and gasp for air. Memphis crouched down in front of him, his long blond hair tied back, revealing his severe features. They all bore scars, some more visible than others.
You can find and contact Mallory McCartney here:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authormalmccartney/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/MalMcCartney
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16308311.Mallory_McCartney
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mallory-McCartney/e/B06VWPDZKN/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/authormalmccartney/
- Beauty and the Beast- This by far is one of my favorite movies. When I was a child, it was the first Disney movie my mom bought my brother and I. I idolized Belle, her fierceness, her intelligence, her love for literature and adventure. Once my mom bought it, I may have watched it every day for the next five years! (Sorry mom for my obsessive personality! ? )
- Laini Taylor- Other thank JK Rowling, Laini Taylor is my favorite author. Her series, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I LOVE! Like, in an all-consuming way. Karou and Akiva are complicated and beautiful characters and I cannot even begin to describe my love for Laini’s writing.
- Lord of The Rings- The movies (and books) are one of my all-time favorites. Fun fact, when I was younger I was part of OLOTRAEWMNG thanks to my cousin and our group of friends! Translated: Obsessive Lord of the Rings and Elijah Wood Movie Night Gang. We gathered once a month for all things fan girly and awesome, and watched movies all night.
- JK Rowling- My number one. Harry Potter was my childhood, and I love Rowling for being such an inspiration and creating such an amazing world.
- Phantom Of The Opera- I LOVE musicals, but Phantom holds a special place in my heart. It will always be one of my top favorites
- Sarah J Maas- Rhysand anyone?! Maas has quickly become one of my favorite authors, Throne of Glass series is captivating and addicting, but A Court of Thorn and Roses and A Court of Mist and Fury, blew me out of the waters. Her writing style is expressive and wonderful, but her characters I have fallen in love with them all. (But especially Rhysand and Manon)
- Pierce Brown- Red Rising Trilogy is one of the most exciting series I have read. Sevro is my all-time favorite character, and Pierce, I will never forgive you for that one plot twist that made my heart drop in my stomach. (If you have read Morning Star you will know what I am talking about). The action, love and betrayal makes for an exceptional read in an original world! (Okay, I may have forgiven him a little ? )
- Moulin Rouge- Ewan McGregor’s voice, need I say more? This movie is one I can re-watch daily.
- The Darkest Minds Trilogy- Alexandra Bracken has created one of the most emotional reading experience with this series for me. It is haunting, and beautiful, and is one of those series that sticks with you after reading.
- Donnie Darko- I love this movie so much. We studied it in my grade twelve English class, and it has remained one of my favorite films to date. Fun fact, it stuck with me, and the memories I have associated with this movie are close to my heart, I have a thigh tattoo of Donnie and Frank (Thanks Will! (Ink By Smink))