Only the Beginning
by Daphne Dubois
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Wild Rose Press
Date of Publication: 25 April 2018
ISBN: 978-1-5092-2034-2 ASIN: 978-1-5092-2035-9
Number of pages: 264
Word Count: 63,300
Taking your best friend’s place on a blind date to let the guy down easy was the plan, taking him to bed wasn’t!
Failing restaurant entrepreneur, Craig Wheaton hasn’t been home since his mother’s tragic death. Now he’s back to confront his demons and stand beside his brother as best man. Dreading the reunion, he agrees to meet his avatar lover, but at the last moment he reconsiders the arrangement—until he lays eyes on her.
When Craig assumes Melissa is his online consort, she impulsively plays along, resulting in an afternoon of unexpected intimacy. But with Melissa using her friend’s identity and Craig dealing with a family fallout, is a future together impossible, or will they discover that love at first sight is Only the Beginning?
There was a shift in the bed behind her, followed by a low sigh.
She froze. In a series of flashing images, it all came back.
The pub. Craig. The intense stare of his eyes. The way he’d kissed her as he unzipped the back of her skirt. He made her feel like she was the most desirable woman on the planet, that there was nothing he wouldn’t do to keep touching her.
And she’d reciprocated, opening up to him, losing all her inhibitions. She imagined this was what Lovers’ Oasis was like. The anonymity combined with the fantasy created a freedom Melissa had never experienced before, not ever.
But now reality set in. She’d woken naked, next to a man she barely knew and the earlier courage she’d felt—the reckless delirious abandonment that augmented her physical enjoyment of the afternoon encounter—had morphed into terrified embarrassment.
There was only one choice—she had to leave before he woke. Slowly, she slipped one leg out, her foot searching for the floor. Then she inched her way to the edge of the bed, carefully making sure not to jostle the mattress.
She stood, completely naked, looking down at Craig. He was on his back, one hand was on his chest gently rising and falling as he slept. The sheets pooled at his waist. His face was completely relaxed, his mouth opened slightly, lips parted.
A warmth began to stir inside her, remembering how those lips felt. He’d memorized each of her breasts with his tongue as his fingers slipped down her belly then nestled between her thighs. She’d come for him, then. So quickly…so easily.
Her purse buzzed from the floor making Melissa jump. It sounded like a marching band had exploded through the door. She crouched down and lunged for the purse, grabbing the phone and silencing it. Melissa waited, but there was no movement from the bed. A quiet breath eased through her pursed lips. She read her phone; there were multiple messages from Brooke. The last one was marked “urgent.”
--Where are you?--
Author Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BRMyersAuthor
I’ve been writing for ten years and have published eight novels. Over this time I’ve collected a few tidbits of advice. Some I’ve found through others and some are from my own experience. I hope one of these resonate with you.
1. Try to write every day—even if it’s only one page. All those pages add up and it helps foster the habit of getting words on paper in a timely fashion.
2. Write the book of your heart and take as long as you need.
3. Ignore trends. Write what you love, what you want to read.
4. Don’t edit while you’re writing. This is the most free your writing will be, let it flow. Even misspelled words, leave them there. It’s all about moving forward.
5. You are writing for your characters. You are the only one who knows their story.
6. Be grateful for the gift of imagination.
7. Writing is hard. Respect it as such.
8. Even though it may appear differently, there is no such thing as an easy success, no matter how famous the writer. Remember that we’re all in the same industry and we want it to be thriving.
9. Don’t forget about the weather.
10. When in doubt, add a food scene.
Thank you so much for having me on the blog today and helping share Only the Beginning with your followers!